Monday, August 8, 2011

Out to Find the Better Part of Me




We all wish that we could be Superman or another iconic hero possessing superhuman abilities that we resolve to use for the benefit of humanity.  Living in a metropolis where we fight for social justice and against tyranny.  Hoping we are lucky enough to find our Lois Lane.  All the while, we are afraid to expose our self to the one thing that we fear most, our Kryptonite, so we hide our true identity.  As such, we live our life by day as a reporter, Clark Kent, and by night as our true self, Superman.  This is my life.  I am Superman.  I am Clark Kent. 

No, I don’t have superhuman strength, speed, or even x-ray vision.  However, like most people I am living a double life trying to mask my own insecurities resulting from low self-esteem issues that developed early on in life.  Each day I put a smile on my face and go about life trying to hide this awesome person who God created me to be.  I do this because I am afraid.  I am afraid of the judgment that I will receive from my family, my friends, and my peers.  This judgment is my kryptonite!

As I stated in last week’s blog post, my spiritual life collided with my personal life.  It’s all because I don’t know how to live both simultaneously.  One would think that it would be easy to connect my personal life with my spiritual life considering that I am made in God’s own image, but it’s not. 

As Five for Fighting sings in their song, Superman, “it’s not easy being me.”  I’m more than a son…  I’m more than a brother…  I’m more than a cousin…  I’m more than a friend… I’m more than a Christian who wants to live his this life for the Lord. 

[Goal #4]  By the end of Project 52, I will no longer live this double life of Clark Kent and Superman.  I will no longer be a man who is misunderstood.  I will no longer be a man vulnerable to his kryptonite.   I will no longer be a man looking for a dream.  I will no longer feel like a man in a funny red sheet, looking for special things inside of me.  I will be that man who is proud to wear that silly red sheet and has found those special things inside of me.  I will be that man who has found his dream.  I will be that man who is invulnerable to kryptonite.  I will be that man who is understood.  I will be that man who accepts me for me regardless of what my family, friends, and peers think! 

I may be different…but don’t you concede that even I have the right to be myself.  I’m just out to find the better part of me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment