What is Labor Day to you? For some, it’s a day of rest and parties, it’s the end of summer, the last day of the year that it’s fashionable for women to wear white. For others, it marks the beginning of football season and a new school year.
Traditionally for me over the last 10 years, it has been a day to be lazy and not do anything. Stay at home, watch movies, take multiple naps, or catch up on projects for work.
In the last 10 years, there are two Labor Day weekends that strayed from my normal routine of laziness.
Labor Day weekend 2010, I was soaking up the sun with my brother and his family on the Carnival Fantasy Cruise Ship returning from the Bahamas. Also, meeting new people and making lasting friendships.
| Hanging with a new friend, Donna, at dinner on the ship. |
| My brother, his wife, and I before our snorkling excursion. |
| My niece Kayla and I posing for the camera "Say cheese!" |
Labor Day weekend 2007, I spent the entire weekend in Columbia, SC hanging out at my best friend's house - Art. It was the first time since college that the majority of my guy friends had been able to get together for an extended weekend.
| The Gang First row - Scott, Greg, Jeff Second Row - Billy, Barron, Art Last Row - Matt |
It was a fun filled weekend of bowling, cooking out, and playing board games. Here is a clip of how much fun we had playing Cranium. Barron is trying to move my arms to give clues of a sport for everyone on my team to guess. I have no clue what sport he was trying to get us to guess.
Today, I spent the afternoon hanging out at my cousin Roscoe's place eating a wonderful meal that his wife Andrenia cooked. Also, in attendance was my brother Mark and his girlfriend Courtney.
![]() |
| Roscoe & Andrenia |
![]() |
| Mark & Courtney |
Delicious food, great fellowship, and wonderful memories are always a good thing on Labor Day or any holiday.
Spending time on Labor Day with family and friends are so much more memorable then spending it alone watching TV and napping all day.
[Goal #6] Next year and all future Labor Days, I plan to do something with friends or family to celebrate the end of summer in style. It may be another cruise, end of summer cook-out celebration, a trip to San Francisco, or something fun and adventurous. Whatever it shall be, I know it will be fun as it will be with family and/or friends.
Happy Labor Day Everyone!



No comments:
Post a Comment